Saturday, April 25, 2009

Concept of Interest: Sexual Harassment

There is one concept in the book that we haven’t discussed and that is sexual harassment. I think everyone should be aware of what sexual harassment consists of: “unwelcome sexual advances, request for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature… when submission to or rejection of this conduct explicitly or implicitly affects an individual’s employment, unreasonably interferes with an individual’s work performance or creates an intimidating, hostile or offensive work environment” (Trenholm, 2008, p. 229). It is important to note that this can happen to males and females as well as being harassed by the same sex.

I found it interesting that our textbook makes note that the factors that show a higher degree of harassment are found in most colleges and universities. Some of the factors consist of “defining the normal employee as male”, “support systems for women and people of color are weak”, and “power relationships between superiors and subordinates are unequal”. I am employed at a college and I have heard of a few incidents between employees but I was surprised when I read it.

1 comment:

  1. I like what you had to say about sexual harassment. I think it is important to discuss it because sometimes we may not even realize we are victims of sexual harassment. I know where I work at a gym we have many male members who make their comments about the women trainers or front desk women and they need to know when to draw the line because they may not realize it but it is inappropriate and sometimes the women do not feel comfortable correcting them.

    ReplyDelete