Saturday, March 14, 2009

Body Type - Nonverbal Communication

There was one section of chapter five that I did not consider as nonverbal communication and that is body type. I also learned a few new terms for different body types, such as: “endomorph (short, round, and fat), Mesomorph (average height, muscular, and athletic), and Ectomorph (tall, thin, and frail)” (Trenholm, 2008, p. 130). These terms also have different personality characteristics to go with them. Some of the descriptions consist of “content, generous, and affectionate for endomorphs, energetic, enthusiastic, and competitive for mesomorphs, and shy, serious, and sensitive for ectomorphs” (Trenholm, 2008, p. 131). To get back to body type and nonverbal communication, I never really considered the cultural norms for body type and the advantages and disadvantages with regards to romance and ones career especially when it comes to the male gender. The example in the book made me think of something I never considered and that was the height of a man and how it can lead to a better career and romance. I really never considered the height of a man in the context of nonverbal communication. I guess this was one of those ahha moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment